Saturday 30 November 2013

Bath hilly half marathon - 11/12 complete!

Well that was tough! Hills, cold, mud, even steeper hills, even colder ... but I have conquered the Bath hilly half marathon and am 11 half marathons down out of 12, only one to go!

As part of the Trionium series of races, I had done the Midsummer Munro in 2011 and loved the race which is why I was keen to do another one of the series! At 1,700ft of climb and 85% being off-road it was due to be an extremely tough race and so it turned out to be! I had done some hill training but possibly lacked a bit of off-road training, the hills were incredibly steep and turned runs into very slow jogs but the training got me through. It was bitterly cold on the day which really got to your lungs and made life that bit more difficult.

Despite all of this, it was a cracking race and a great atmosphere. The Trionium series has a fantastic feel to it and all the runners encourage each other during the race which I think is brilliant and part of the reason I enjoy the running community! I managed to clock a time of 1:45 which I was very happy with :) along with a 24th place finish out of 205 runners.



I would like to thank Rob who organises the series for letting me defer my place from last year and for putting on a brilliant race! Also for including my picture on his website!

http://www.trionium.com/bathhillyhalf/photos2013/index3.html

A big big thank you also goes to Becky and Anna for coming to support me during the race and cheering me on at various points, Anna even jogged up a hill with me! Was great to have you both there and taking some footage of the race which my flatmate Michael has kindly said he will edit for me (video to come soon)! Thanks to Anna's family too for the fantastic hospitality over the weekend!

So, nearly done! One half marathon left before the challenge is over! Can't believe it's almost done! Catch you again in 3 weeks time :)

James

No comments:

Post a Comment